We scan Disc film negatives using a Creo iQsmart 3 conservation grade scanner. Images produced exceed the quality of the original prints. No other format of film is more in need of the best possible quality scan than the lowly Disc film. With some confidence, we can say there is no other provider that can approach this level of quality with a Disc film scan.
Your Negatives will be:
- Ultrasonically cleaned — We don’t use an infrared dust removal system such as Digital Ice or Image intelligence. Dust removal is done manually to eliminate the artifacting that can be created by IR dust removal when scanning such small images. We do use IR on larger negatives…It just doesn’t work well on tiny negatives.
- Spotted digitally for any remaining dust or scratches. Please note, negatives in very poor condition may still have some damage remaining.
- Wet mounted in Lumina scanning fluid to add more clarity by reducing diffraction and alos reduce tiny scratches
- Scanned at 5500 DPI 48 bit — Enough resolution to capture all the detail in the small negative and enough bit depth to salvage detail from the highlights and shadows.
- Cropped by eye precisely to the edge of each image revealing about 15 percent more of each picture than the original prints made from the negative (See the sample image below).
- Opened in Photoshop CC™ and adjusted for, brightness, contrast, highlight recovery, shadow detail and color. Photoshop CC™ is the professional standard for uncompromising image correction.
- Both 48 bit Tiff and 24 bit Jpeg files are returned to the client.
Click on either of the images below to enlarge and then click the image again to see the full resolution version of the picture.
Please note: To optimally scan Disc film we need to remove the central hub of the disc. The hub at this point serves virtually no practical purpose. This is the default approach. It is possible to leave the hubs in if it is important to have the Disc remain in their original state but the images won’t be quite as sharp. Please make that request by hand on the order form.
Prices and billing are in US dollars with one exception: Film Rescue Europe orders are billed in Euros**
When applicable, VAT, GST and/or PST will be added to European and Canadian orders.
**Film Rescue Europe orders must be sent to and returned through the Netherlands location.
|Digital Files Only||Prices|
|1 to 3 Discs, per Disc||$ 32.00|
|4 to 15 Discs, per Disc||$ 27.50|
|16 to 30 Discs, per Disc||$ 25.00|
|31 or more, per Disc||$ 22.50|
Once your scanning order is completed, we will create an online gallery of the scans, where on a pick and choose basis, you can order prints of the films we have scanned for you. There is absolutely no obligation to order. You can simply use the gallery to preview smaller versions of the scans we will be sending back to you. When we’re done scanning, you will be sent a payment portal to pay for your scan job and with that, you will have immediate access to your gallery.
The print sizes available from our print gallery service vary from 4×4 up to 8.5 x 11 inches. There a four paper option – Heavy weight high quality Inkpress or Canon glossy and luster photo paper, Kodak Archival matte and Hahnemühle Archival cotton rag. Prices vary from .45 for a 4×6 uncropped print to 9.40 for a 8.5 x 11 on Hahnemühle paper. There are also cropping options in the gallery if you desire and if not, images are printed virtually uncropped regardless of the aspect ratio. Unless you order a custom crop, we don’t cut off tops and bottoms of pictures in order to print onto an inappropriate aspect ratio paper.
While we are using archival pigment ink and not cheaper dye based inks, prints made on luster or glossy photo paper wouldn’t be considered archival but they will last a lifetime in an album or portfolio. Prints onto matte paper are truly archival and suitable for framing and long term display.
Here are some more examples of print pricing…
|4×5 Glossy with Border||.45 each|
|4×5 Luster with Border||.50 each|
|4×5 Glossy Borderless||.65 each|
|4×5 Luster Borderless||.70 each|
|4×5 Archival Matte Bordered||.70 each|
|4×5 Archival Matte Borderless||.90 each|
|4×5 Hahnemühle Archival Cotton Rag Bordered||1.35 each|
|4×5 Hahnemühle Archival Cotton Rag Borderless||1.55 each|
Supplying your own drive, online delivery or FRI supplies drive?
You are welcome to supply your own drive that will be returned with your original disc films. We need just a little under a gigabyte per disc of space for each disc you’re having scanned.
If you have 10 or less disc films, we can do an online delivery via Google drive instead of returning your Tiff and Jpeg files on a drive.
Otherwise, Film Rescue can supply an appropriate sized drive at a fair price.
Return Shipping and Handling
|Within USA and Canada||$15.00*|
|Film Rescue Europe||link**|
|All others||Contact Us**|
* Shipping charges may be higher for exceptionally heavy, large, or fragile orders.
** Some options may not be available. Contact us before you send your order.
Turn Around Time
Work is in house from 2 to 6 weeks depending on our workload.