We scan Disc film negatives using a Creo iQsmart 3 conservation grade scanner. Images produced exceed the quality of the original prints. No other format of film is more in need of the best possible quality scan than the lowly Disc film. With some confidence, we can say there is no other provider that can approach this level of quality with a Disc film scan.
Your Negatives will be:
- Ultrasonically cleaned — We don’t use an infrared dust removal system such as Digital Ice or Image intelligence. Dust removal is done manually to eliminate the artifacting that can be created by IR dust removal when scanning such small images. We do use IR on larger negatives…It just doesn’t work well on tiny negatives.
- Spotted digitally for any remaining dust or scratches. Please note, negatives in very poor condition may still have some damage remaining.
- Wet mounted in Lumina scanning fluid to add more clarity by reducing diffraction and alos reduce tiny scratches
- Scanned at 5500 DPI 48 bit — Enough resolution to capture all the detail in the small negative and enough bit depth to salvage detail from the highlights and shadows.
- Cropped by eye precisely to the edge of each image revealing about 15 percent more of each picture than the original prints made from the negative (See the sample image below).
- Opened in Photoshop CC™ and adjusted for, brightness, contrast, highlight recovery, shadow detail and color. Photoshop CC™ is the professional standard for uncompromising image correction.
- Both 48 bit Tiff and 24 bit Jpeg files are returned to the client.
The red line that you see in this sample photo, indicates the approximate amount of cropping that would have been done to your pictures when the original prints were made from your Disc film. At Film Rescue we do our crops by eye precisely to the edges of the frame. This reveals more of the original picture and means that the grain is reduced because it is then essentially a larger negative.
Note about printing: We offer prints as a convenience. High quality prints can be provided by a reputable local supplier once you have the scans back from us, likely at a lower cost. Our prints are a vintage style print with wide quarter inch borders on glossy paper.
Please note: To optimally scan Disc film we need to remove the central hub of the disc. The hub at this point serves virtually no practical purpose. This is the default approach. It is possible to leave the hubs in if it is important to have the Disc remain in their original state but the images won’t be quite as sharp. Please make that request by hand on the order form.
Prices and billing are in US dollars with one exception: Film Rescue Europe orders are billed in Euros**
When applicable, VAT, GST and/or PST will be added to European and Canadian orders.
**Film Rescue Europe orders must be sent to and returned through the Netherlands location.
|Digital Files Only||Prices|
|1 to 3 Discs, per Disc||$ 32.00|
|4 to 15 Discs, per Disc||$ 27.50|
|16 to 30 Discs, per Disc||$ 25.00|
|31 or more, per Disc||$ 22.50|
Once we’ve completed scanning your film, we can create an optional online gallery of all of your pictures (you must request this on your order form). From the gallery, you can add images to your cart on a pick and choose basis, to be printed using archival pigment ink on a quality paper of your choice. Or, simply wait until you have your scans back and have them printed locally or by an online service of your choice.
|4×5 Glossy with Border||.45 each|
|4×5 Luster with Border||.50 each|
|4×5 Glossy Borderless||.65 each|
|4×5 Luster Borderless||.70 each|
|4×5 Archival Matte Bordered||.70 each|
|4×5 Archival Matte Borderless||.90 each|
|4×5 Hahnemühle Archival Cotton Rag Bordered||1.35 each|
|4×5 Hahnemühle Archival Cotton Rag Borderless||1.55 each|
Within the gallery there are many other options for larger sizes and custom cropping but keep in mind, disc films were actually only designed to make 3.5 x 4.5 prints. While you’re welcome to order whatever size you like to be printed, blowups beyond 4×5 and custom cropped images can become quite grainy. Due to our scan quality being so high and how little we actually crop the original disc film frame, we can get away with the larger 4×5 prints even though in the past, that wasn’t recommended by Kodak. That said, our bordered prints are the cleanest and clearest option because they are printed a little smaller due to the border.
Supplying your own hard drive?
If you wish to supply your own hard drive, you’ll need to consult with one of our technicians first. If you don’t consult with us and the drive you supply is too small, your order may have to be delayed while we try to contact you to sort out how to proceed. If you supply your own used drive, the drive will be reformatted; it’s your responsibility to ensure there is no content on it you’d like to keep.
Otherwise, Film Rescue can supply an appropriate sized drive at a fair price.
Return Shipping and Handling
|Within USA and Canada||$15.00*|
|Film Rescue Europe||link**|
|All others||Contact Us**|
* Shipping charges may be higher for exceptionally heavy, large, or fragile orders.
** Some options may not be available. Contact us before you send your order.
Turn Around Time
Work is in house from 2 to 6 weeks depending on our workload.