Disc Film Scanning
Doing disc film scanning has proved to be something of a challenge due to the fact the images on a disc are in a circle and no commercial scanner for these was ever developed. These are scanned on an Epson V750 using a laser cut custom carrier that we had built for this purpose. For this reason, we have included it under its own heading. It’s something we’ve been doing a long time and have a lot of experience with. The hands on nature of this work is reflected in the prices.
We provide you with large high quality files of a quality that was not possible with the technology during the years of disc film production. We do not use vintage disc film printers.
Your Negatives will be:
- Manually cleaned — We don’t use “Digital Ice” dust removal software even though our scanners are equipped with it. Dust removal is done manually to eliminate the artifacting that can be created by the Digital Ice technology when scanning such small images.
- Scanned at 3200 DPI — Enough resolution to capture all the detail in the small negative.
- Cropped by eye precisely to the edge of each image revealing about 15 percent more of each picture than the original prints made from the negative (See the sample image below).
- Scaled to create a file that is 8×10 at 300 DPI so there is no pixelation on blow-ups well beyond the size the tiny negatives were intended for.
- Manually color corrected.
- Noise reduced to eliminate some of the grain that is apparent due to the tiny negative.
- Sharpened to give as crisp an image as possible from the tiny negative.
The red line that you see in this sample photo, indicates the approximate amount of cropping that would have been done to your pictures when the original prints were made from your disc film. At Film Rescue we do our crops by eye precisely to the edges of the frame. This reveals more of the original picture and means that the grain is reduced because it is then essentially a larger negative.
Note about printing: Our prints are offered as a convenience. High quality prints can be provided by a reputable local supplier once you have the scans back from us, at a lower cost to you. Our prints are a vintage style print with wide quarter inch borders on glossy paper.
Prices and billing are in US dollars with one exception: Film Rescue Europe orders are billed in Euros**
When applicable, VAT, GST and/or PST will be added to European and Canadian orders.
Minimum charge may be billed before processing, especially on orders with multiple films to process.
**Film Rescue Europe orders must be sent to and returned through the Netherlands location.
|1 to 5 discs, per disc||$ 25.00|
|6 to 10 discs, per disc||$ 20.65|
|11 to 20 discs, per disc||$ 19.00|
|21 or more, per disc||$ 17.60|
|CD-R Plus Prints||Prices|
|1 to 5 discs, per disc||$ 30.00|
|6 to 10 discs, per disc||$ 25.65|
|11 to 20 discs, per disc||$ 24.00|
|21 or more, per disc||$ 22.60|
Return Shipping and Handling
|Within USA and Canada||$12.00*|
|Film Rescue Europe||link|
|All others||Contact Us|
* Shipping charges may be higher for exceptionally heavy, large, or fragile orders.
Turn Around Time
Work is done in regular 10-12 week cycles. Film for scanning for the next cycle must be in our hands by the cutoff date. The next cycle cutoff date is
Wednesday, June 7, 2017
Please don’t wait until near the beginning of a cycle to send your film. This slows down our administrative work at the start of each cycle, delaying work for everyone.